Wednesday, March 4, 2015

My speech for the Final parklet presentation

My inspiration for my parklet came from the yin yang symbol that is a combination of relaxation with mental and intellectual activities, like reading a book or listening to live entertainment. It also reflects a diverse and nurturing environment. Diverse because it accommodates not only regular adults and teens but also children and those in a wheel chair and nurturing because it cares for the needs of its diverse population, and welcome them to be part of the parklet. I showed the yin and yang concept throughout my design with the use of color and activities.

 I incorporated the tree located in front of the store into the yin side of my design because tree is one of the element of yin. I also wanted to have an open feel to the yin side to enhance the level of comfort and relaxation.  The color theme used here were different shades of greens, blues and grays to give it a soothing feel  typical of the yin environment. For the yang side of my parklet, I wanted to incorporate more activities, make it more enclosed for the safety of kid as well as accommodate live entertainment and other activities that will result in short term stay within the bar area such as standing looking something up in a laptop or having a quick conversation while drinking coffee. The color theme I used on this side was different shades of red, yellow, and orange to the  active environment of yang.


The materials used in the parklet are wood (teak) for the built-ins, Bison decking for the flooring, metal, mosaic tiles, and gravel.  Around the perimeter of the parklet, I gradually changed the height of the walls with the highest being in the yang side reducing as you approach the yin side. This gradual change in height represents the level of energy within the yin yang. Yin, the passive side (low energy) Yang the active side (high energy).  I also decided to incorporate garden bells that will represent vegetation, which addresses the request for low maintenance items in the parklet's design. These bells will also work to give out soothing sound produced when stricken by wind or rain drops contributing to the relaxing sensation of the environment. In addition, Aesop fable characters were incorporated within the railing of the parklet to connect with the bookstore sign that has a fable character in it "a fox", and book covers on my bar tops establishing the direct relationship between the parklet and Scuppernong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment